Saturday, February 24, 2007

Ponniyin Selvan..

Nevertheless to say anything about those two magical words! Whoever know and read these words will definitely say “wonderful novel”

Yep! A great historical novel ever written. Even when the novel was coming in series in Tamil magazine kalki, I started thinking about this novel.

Though I never read this novel that time (‘cos quite very young :-) ) but used to watch the way my parents w/o failing buying this book every week, read the story, tear those pages alone and keep it safely. This routine continued for years till the novel got over.

And my parents bind those pages into a book and kept it safe. Till that time, I used to wonder what is there in that book, to preserve it so much safely. I never got a chance to read that book ‘cos of various reasons that were said to me like too young to read, exams are approaching that this all sort of things.

Then finally, the D-Day came and the book was given to me to read.

Ponniyin selvan..

What a book!! I read it in one shot..I don’t remember when I read guess in my 10th standard holidays!

Marvelous book. Thought it’s a huge book, w/ five volumes, not even a single second I felt bored about the narration, not even a bit of sluggishness nothing I felt.

I almost raced w/ the book, w/ all my senses stuck w/ the book only. And the way kalki[ the author of the book] has described ..Whether it’s the events or the situation or the appearance of the characters .. be it anything…simply awesome I should say!

And the illustrations by Maniam’s ( great painter) were simply breath taking. When kalki explains something, I will rush up, flip through pages and search for Maniam’s painting for that scene.

In sync they will be …I should accept.


W/ this blended work kalki has given a feel as if you have lived w/ the characters. As if you became an invisible person, who traveled w/ each and every character, watched their act closely and you will feel your presence in every scene of the book.

When Vandhiyadevan jumps over the wall, you took would have followed him. When Kundavai longs for her love, you too would’ve felt bad w/ her. You will feel yourself somewhere in the novel and will try to fit into it some how for sure :-)

You will feel that you never lived that life, and will long to be there in that age after reading the novel.

I felt so! And Vandhiyadevan is my favorite character in the novel, my hero I should say!Let me read the book once again! I always say to my friends that I wont read the same book twice..

But exceptions are allowed for exceptional works!! :-) :-)

Kudos to Kalki and Maniam and to the great novel!


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ŝ₤Ω..™ said...

What to comment???

shud i appreciate U for rekindling my appetite to read Ponniyin Selvan again???

shud i envy U for holding the originals collected from "Kalki"???

donno wat to say..

kudos..

6:26 AM  
Blogger கனவின் பயணம் said...

hmmm...do you wanna write in tamizh? I will send you a easy way..i guess..you will love writing in tamizh..with less efforts...


oops..i couldnt attach the file...let me know, your mail id..i shall send across.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home